Northwest District Association (NWDA)
The Northwest District Association (NWDA) is a city-recognized neighborhood organization that represents much of northwest Portland.
The NWDA is comprised of citizens representing residential, commercial and institutional interests in the District. NWDA’s committees are formed around areas of interest and policy, and their members meet regularly to further our voice in the affairs of the City, as well as to just be neighbors. So, please join us. It’s pretty easy to fit in.For more information, visit NWDA’s website here.
Ready, Set, GO!
Saturday March 19, 2016
11:00 am – 6:00 pm
An event celebrating the 2016 World Indoor Track & Field Championships
Athletes, coaches, families, media, and athletic businesses will be coming from around the entire globe to Portland in March, 2016. We have a plan that will bring visitors to our area to shop, dine, relax, and experience Nob Hill.
So, we’re holding a district-wide decathalon for every body! (Running not necessary!) Customers will become contestants as they play fun games of skill, chance, and luck that feature your favorite products in your own businesses.
If you want those customers in your business – contact Pat Fiedler at firstname.lastname@example.org
by deadline to participate: February 15, 2016.
This grant is funded in part by Venture Portland, Since 1986 Venture Portland has invested in the smart, strategic growth of Portland’s unique neighborhood business districts. These dynamic districts, which together make up a majority of the city’s businesses and nearly half of its jobs, play a vital role in Portland’s economic prosperity and collectively represent local, regional, national and international demand for goods and services.
Happy 2016 to all of us Nob Hill Businesses!
I hope you’re having a great start to your year and looking forward to achieving all of your business’s goals in 2016!
I am honored to have been elected by the members of Nob Hill to serve as your President. We are already working on a number of projects, two of which are funded in part through our partnership with Venture Portland. Other projects include enhancing our membership, increasing visibility, providing more opportunities for networking, and deepening collaboration with our neighborhood partners.
I am very excited for Ready Set Go! on March 19th. The World Indoor Track and Field Championships will be that weekend and we’re helping to bring those shoppers to your area. Check out the information below if you want to join in (while supplies last!).
Make this February a great one! And please stop by our first Third Tuesday Happy Hour at Santa Fe Taqueria
at 23rd and Kearney. February 16th, 5-6:30 PM. Let’s talk biz!
I hope to see you soon!
Thank you Peggy Anderson!!
We are very lucky to have had Peggy Anderson serve with the Nob Hill Business Association for the past 15 years. She helped guide and direct the organization, several years as President, developing new opportunities for members to grow and expand their businesses.
As a gift for her dynamic service, we commissioned this beautiful glass award and presented it to Peggy at our Annual Social least month.
Again, thank you Peggy! May you visit often and enjoy the neighborhood that you helped foster and nurture.
Inaugural Nob Hill Business Association Happy Hour!!
You’ve been hard at work. Maybe you could use a break?
Join us and your fellow Nob Hill business owners and managers for an appetizer or a drink or two! Santa Fe Taqueria owner Maya Cardoso will have a table reserved for us!
Tuesday, February 16 between 5-6:30 pm.
Everyone is responsible for their own tab & please tip your server well!
HAVE YOU JOINED NOB HILL?
The Nob Hill Business Association provides a link to receive and share information, express concerns and offer suggestions. We offer the opportunity to network and partner with other business people who share your specific concerns.
We have added a new benefit for our members, a “Members only” Facebook Group. Now you can privately chat with fellow businesses.
Benefits of Membership
- Free Listing of your business on our website: nwpdxnobhill.com
- Up to Four hosted NHBA Social events (& opportunity for your business to host a Social!)
- Third Tuesday Nob Hill Business Happy Hours (begins February 2016!)
- Opportunity to reach over 500 neighborhood businesses with your information and promotions through our monthly newsletter
- Free listing of events on our website, Facebook page, and Facebook group
- Special advertising and coupon opportunities on our website
- Members’ have added visibility on the web with the NHBA link on Travel Portland’s website
- Our brochure is distributed by Travel Portland at their Visitor Center with 400,000 visitors per year and at the Oregon Convention Center with 600,000 visitors per year
- Access to all networking events sponsored by Travel Portland
- Access to low cost Venture Portland Training
- Access to Venture Portland technical assistance
- Access to Venture Portland Advocacy
- Liaison to the City of Portland on local issues
- Collective marketing opportunities for sidewalk sale, socials, Halloween Give-A-Way and other events
- Discounted rates on group ads
- Discounted rates on Nob Hill Walking Map
- Participation in the NHBA-members only Facebook group
COST $100 Individual (5 or less employees)
150 Small Business (80 or fewer employees)
300 Corporate Rate (80 or more employees)
Membership applications are available at our website:
We do have our Board Meetings every lst Wednesday of the month at 8:30AM in the Holiday Inn Express located at NW 23rd & Vaughn.
Do you have an agenda item for us to discuss?
NOB HILL BUSINESSES – In Transition
Congratulations to Besaw’s
which reopened for business after at 21st and Raleigh on January 27th. Their website tells us they missed their customers – and we missed them!
- Cooper Realty added a new residential real estate broker, Ben Banner, increasing the 23rd and Thurman agency to 4 agents.
- Stella’s on 21st has announced the eventual closure of their store. Plan to visit this week or next to wish a warm goodbye – and check out the closing sale discounts.
- Heron Haus Bed and Breakfast at 2545 NW Westover has been sold and guests may stay through March. The property is expected to revert to a private residence with no lodging.
NW PARKING UPDATE
PARKING METER INSTALLATION IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN
- Metered parking will be installed along NW 21st and NW 23rd, from Burnside to NW Vaughn. About 80 percent of those metered spaces will be for four hours, with the rest for up to two hours.
- Metered parking on other streets will offer four-hour stays. The four-hour meters, including those on NW 21st and NW 23rd, may be re-plugged. Residential streets will also have a 30-minute short-term space on each block face.
- Non-metered, permit-only parking spaces will be limited to four-hour stays for visitors. Those with Zone M permits can park in these spots all day.
The Zone M permit boundaries stretch from Burnside north to NW Vaughn and from NW 16th to NW 25th. Parking permits are now in effect.
You can apply in person at:
The Portland Bureau of Transportation,
1120 SW 5th Ave.
8th Floor Reception Desk
Monday – Friday from 8AM to 5PM.
Or by mail:
Portland Bureau of Transportation
1120 SW 5th Ave. Suite 1302
Portland, Oregon 97204
Businesses must show proof of location and a personnel roster with employees’ names and number of hours worked per week. All employees are eligible to purchase permits through their employer. Businesses may purchase permits for their employees. The number of permits issued to each business is calculated based on the payroll information submitted.
For more information call Area Parking Permit Hotline at 503-823-2777
Friday, March 11, 2016 6 pm
Friendly House, 2617 NW Savier St
It will be a lively evening with amazing silent & live auction items, 2 exciting raffles and a decadent dinner. We sell out so get your tickets now! For more information about the auction and to purchase your tickets, please click here, contact Monique or call 503-935-5287.
If you are interested in sponsoring or making an auction donation there is still time! Click here for more information about sponsoring or, email Debra Lande – email@example.com to donate an item or gift certificate.
See you when the bird’s sing!
Celebrate Our City – 30th Anniversary
February 4, 2016 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
Melody Ballroom, 615 SE Alder St
You’re Invited! Join Venture Portland and neighborhood business districts at our fourth annual celebration of the neighborhood businesses and business districts that make Portland Portland. Help us celebrate Venture Portland’s 30th anniversary and show some pre-Valentine’s Day Love to neighborhood business districts. Tickets are just $30.
TRAVEL PORTLAND EVENTS
As a member of NHBA you are invited to attend the Travel Portland Events. Please take advantage of this membership benefit.
BUSINESS AFTER HOURS
- FEBRUARY 10, 5 – 7 p.m
- Rogue Ales & Distillery – 1339 NW Flanders St.
- Business After Hours is hosted by Rogue Ales Distillery and Public House in the Pearl District. Rogue Ales and Spirits is an agri-fermenter and distillery founded in Oregon in 1988 and is dedicated to crafting a wide variety of ales, lagers, spirits, ciders and sodas. Rogue has won over 1,700 awards for taste and quality and is available in all 50 states and 50 countries.
FORUM BREAKFAST – IMPACT OF THE EXPORT-IMPORT BANK FOR OUR REGION
- FEBRUARY 17, 7:30 – 8:45 a.m.
- Sentinel Hotel – 614 SW 11th Ave.
- Join Fred P. Hochberg, Chairman & President of the Export-Import Bank of the U.S. (EXIM Bank), Trey Winthrop of Bob’s Red Mill and Ted Nelsonof Paccess for a discussion on the recently passed EXIM reauthorization and a conversation about why the bank is important to the region’s trade-based economy. SERIES SPONSORS: KeyBank, Portland Tribune and University of Oregon
BUILDING BUSINESS CONNECTIONS
- FEBRUARY 23, 7:30 – 9 a.m.
- Moda Center – 2 Center Court Rd.
- Building Business Connections is the Alliance’s premiere networking program. Blending networking and resources, Building Business Connections encourages lively discussion, focused connection-building conversations and educational opportunities to help attendees make new business connections and build their business.
4th ANNUAL MARKETING CONFERENCE
- March 3, 8:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Crowne Plaza Portland Downtown Convention Center
- 1441 N.E. Second Avenue
- Trends in social media, mobile and event marketing
- Working with “Influencers”
- Virtual reality marketing
- An update of Travel Portland’s digital marketing strategy
- Content strategy
- Audience targeting
- “10 Seconds of You” – the modern elevator pitch
Ongoing Neighborhood Cleanups
NWDA 2nd Saturday Clean-up
Saturday, February 13, 2016 | 9:00am – 10:30am
NWDA 3rd Saturday Clean-up
Saturday, February 20, 2016 | 9:00am – 10:30am
MEMBERSHIP @ PORTLAND BUSINESS ALLIANCE MADE EASY FOR SMALL BUSINESS
The Nob Hill Business Association has partnered with the Portland Business Alliance to offer a great opportunity for members. Nob Hill Business Association members with five or fewer employees, can join the Portland Business Alliance for $100 (up to a $650 savings). To find out if your business qualifies and join, visit www.portlandalliance.com/affiliate
I hope you all are having a successful season and even though it is a very busy time you have been able to join family and friends in sharing the holiday spirit. My warmest wishes to you for much happiness and good health in the New Year!
My very best,